- Makes: 32 small squares or 20 larger bars
- Hands on Time: 15 min
- Baking Time: 40 min total
- ½ c butter, softened
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the base: Cream the ½ cup of butter briefly with the brown sugar and then beat in the 1 cup of flour until combined. You will have a crumbly mixture. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes in a 350F oven.
- While the base is baking, prepare the topping. In a bowl, combine all the topping ingredients and beat them together.
- After the base has baked for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and spread the topping mixture over the base. Return to the oven and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling below is set. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack. When the squares are still somewhat warm, lift the uncut baking out of the pan by the parchment and cut it into squares. Cool completely.
My Christmas Variation: Add 2 tbsp of finely grated orange zest and a ¾ cup of dried cranberries to the topping mixture, stirring them in after the other topping ingredients have been combined.